We've had that rule for probably 10y or so at this point, as to why, blame
SMTP for rcpt and data being separate.  GSuite domains can define rules on
what they will/won't accept, and in order to deny such messages in the smtp
transaction and not create backscatter by bouncing them later, we have to
restrict the transaction to users in the same domain.

And the setting isn't in mailman, it's in your MTA, most of them have a
setting to split by domain and not mx.   Searching turned up instructions
for sendmail and exim, but I failed to find the postfix one, I know you can
set postfix to have max recipients of 1, but that seems like overkill.  You
can also tune how quickly you retry on partial failure on some servers,
there's no reason to wait as long (or maybe at all) when some succeed and
others get a 4xx error (though, honestly it depends on which 4xx error, but
even if the others are all longer term problems, that'll just be one quick
retry to figure that out)

Brandon

Brandon