On 25 Sep 2019, at 2:18, Simon Lyall via mailop wrote:

Just had a bunch of people at a domain get unsubscribed from this list. Appears to be some weird Google rule (which probably made sense with they were not the MX for 30% of all active domains)

I've seen similar behavior for large ISPs, where email to specific recipients reside on different clusters. They will take the first RFC2821.TO and 451 subsequent receivers on different clusters. The reason for this is related with different per-user filtering / delivery processing that is separate from the SMTP transaction.

Observe this and note whether the message is eventually delivered to all recipients. Likely it will – one recipient per queue run. If this is the case and you want quicker delivery, you'll have to configure your MTA to use a separate SMTP session per recipient.

Any chance of them fixing it (or failing that a quick work-around for mailman)? . It looks like people have been complaining about it for a few years though.

This is an implementation compromise that is very unlikely to go away. Of course I don't speak for Google :-)

There's really not much more they can do to improve on this given all their constraints.

Best regards

-lem