Hi all,

On the 5th of October we noticed a spike in delivery failures at domains
hotmail.com, outlook.com, msn.com, and live.com.
The failures were caused by DNS lookup errors reported by the MTA as "5.4.4
(unable to route: no mail hosts for domain)”. This is problematic as the error
is reported as hard bounce causing many addresses to be suppressed.

Delivery to other Microsoft domains was fine. The issue also occurred between
20-24 September and now again on the 5th of October. Since then, delivery has
been normal.

We noticed that Microsoft is using DNS entries for MX hosts with a very short
TTL (30 sec) and rotating IP addresses. We think the short TTL may be related
to the issue. Aggressive caching of the MX-es seemed to help.

Did anyone else experience this issue, or knows about recent DNS changes at
Microsoft?

Thanks,
Maarten