On 8 Oct 2019, at 15:57, Aaron C. de Bruyn via mailop wrote:

[...]
Maybe I'm getting old and forgetful, but I seem to recall the RFCs saying the Message-Id was nothing more than a tracking identifier and could be
complete garbage.

Not exactly garbage: if it exists, it needs a '@' and the legal content is slightly less permissive than the 'addr-spec' definition (i.e. email addresses.) Also, it must be unique, so using a real fully qualified hostname (i.e. one that no one else will use) is useful. OR: use none, and have your gateway generate one.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-3.6.

Can someone at Google shed some light on this?

Note that I am NOT Google.

--
Bill Cole