> Thank you, but your reply appears to be a reiteration of what is said
> to be current practise.  I don't see an answer to my question about
> considering ip addresses individually.

There are variations on that question.

Suppose you get spam from an IP Address.

Do you block the address, or continue to examine each message?  If you block,
do you block at the mail server or the firewall?  Or maybe just block the
sender.

Suppose you block an IP Address.  How long should that block remain in place?
If the source is a legitimate mail system with a phished account, you want to
unblock as soon as the spam stops.  If the block is for a spam friendly ISP
there is a good chance that spam will start again as soon as enough receivers
have removed their blocks.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.