I see similar things from Comcast occasionally (including this morning).
The "retry time not reached for any host for 'comcast.net'" error does in
fact appear to come from Exim. The error from Comcast is from the first
send attempt: "Remote host closed connection in response to initial
connection."

What I think is happening is this: We try to send initially and get "Remote
host closed connection in response to initial connection" errors on both
mx1.comcast.net and mx2.comcast.net. Then, as we try to send more messages
and get more "Remote host closed connection in response to initial
connection" errors, the retry time (5 minutes in our case) is never reached.

In other words, every time we get a "Remote host closed connection in
response to initial connection" error from Comcast, the clock seems to
reset on the retry time. Eventually, later in the day, traffic slows down
and the queue starts to clear. I also try to flush the queue manually when
I see it starting to grow. Some sends still fail when I do that but some go
through.

At least, that's how it looks from here. The problem isn't new but it comes
and goes. It appears to be just congestion at Comcast. There's a very
helpful Comcast rep on this list and I won't out him but maybe he will
speak up at some point and correct any mistakes I've made here.

rac