Whenever these threads come up, a dozen or so people say "I still read
email on my stone tablet and so do all my friends." But count how many
friends do you have, and then divide that by the 1.5 billion active Gmail
users (as of October 2018), the resulting percentage is how much it matters
if random sender X creates a text version or not in 2019. It really
doesn't. Nobody except those 12 guys see the email in plain text. Those 12
people may be unhappy, but they probably aren't subscribed to a company's
marketing messages anyway.

The only reason I suggest including a text version is that it makes email
messages score lower (better) in SpamAssassin. But even that has
diminishing returns at this point.

Cheers,
Al Iverson

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 7:58 AM Steven Champeon via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
wrote:

> on Mon, Dec 09, 2019 at 02:26:08PM +0100, Jaroslaw Rafa via mailop wrote:
> > Dnia  9.12.2019 o godz. 12:52:31 Steven Champeon via mailop pisze:
> > > That's all I can see in mutt. Not even a "your mail client sucks" or
> > > "click on the URL to view this message in a web browser" disclaimer.
> >
> > As you are using mutt, you definitely know how to use the "v" key on the
> > message :). Then you can press Enter on the HTML part and your locally
> > installed text-mode browser like w3m, lynx or links kicks in and displays
> > the HTML for you. However, it still sucks to have to do this :)
>
> Yeah, of course, I know that, but it's an even more idiotic sign on
> behalf of the sender that they don't care enough to make it so I don't
> have to do that. Also, I suspect whenever I'm going to have to do that
> I am just going to get a lynx -dump that consists of a blurb followed
> by forty-leven ~1K hash redirect "Visible link" lines and perhaps a
> clicktracker "Hidden link" line. Respect!
>
> And I also note that there is no account preference for either special
> notice mail^W^W^Wmarketing like this or for their newsletter to let
> them know I'd rather get plain text. Shrug. I don't make good cheap
> eyeglasses, they don't know how to properly manage their broadcast mail.
>
> --
> hesketh.com/inc. v: +1(919)834-2552 f: +1(919)834-2553 w:
> http://hesketh.com/
> Internet security and antispam hostname intelligence:
> http://enemieslist.com/

al iverson // wombatmail // chicago
http://www.aliverson.com
http://www.spamresource.com