On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 1:30 PM Jaroslaw Rafa <r...@rafa.eu.org> wrote:

> Dnia 16.12.2019 o godz. 12:42:29 Brandon Long via mailop pisze:
> > Here's the announcement post:
> >
> https://gsuiteupdates.googleblog.com/2019/12/less-secure-apps-oauth-google-username-password-incorrect.html
> >
> > Note this is more than just unencrypted access, this is using password
> > based login at all.  Looks like it doesn't apply to SMTP, yet, probably
> > because of the number of printers and other embedded devices that don't
> > support oauth.
> >
> > As for tools, last year I added support for OAUTHBEARER to mutt but by
> > shelling out to
> >
> https://github.com/google/gmail-oauth2-tools/blob/master/python/oauth2.py
> for
> > generating tokens.  The sasl level code to send the tokens is pretty
> > trivial, the annoying part is launching a browser and getting the token
> > back from it.
>
> Do any Windows/Linux/MacOS email clients currently support OAuth "out of
> the
> box"?
> If not, that's basically cutting nearly everybody using regular IMAP email
> clients off of G Suite...

The blog post specifically calls out Outlook, Mail.app and Thunderbird as
supporting OAuth,
once you add iOS Mail and various common Android Mail apps, that probably
covers 90+% of
the third party mail clients used to access Gmail.  I don't know if all of
the Android Mail apps support
OAuth these days, but there tools built into Google Services on Android to
handle oauth grants very
easily (certainly the easiest of the platforms besides web apps).

For terminal apps, doing something like I did with Mutt is probably the
right choice and pretty straightforward.
For gui apps, it's obviously more complicated if you need to embed a web
browser, not to mention
the inherent insecurity of logging into Google from an embedded web
browser... but I guess you would have given
that app your password anyways prior to oauth, so whatever.

Brandon