Some Google services use one day, some use three days.  There are some
outliers on receiving mail, ie particular users can be hospitalized or
temporarily disabled and then retries will go longer.

I always wanted to lower it, the messages that take longer than a day are
in the noise, and a lot of time that's because a mailbox is so busy that
it's on the edge of being able to actually handle the volume, and the
problem is more one of flow control (twice in two threads, wow)

One of the main reasons I don't think we should use such long retries is
that it violates user expectations.  Users often treat email as nearly
instantaneous, because it normally is... so taking hours or days of
actually failing without any quick indication to the user violates that
expectation.

As much as I'm annoyed in instant messaging apps when they give up in
seconds and I have to manually retry, at least they aren't fooling me into
thinking the other party has the message.  I periodically proposed an
"outbox" idea where messages would be very visible with attempt and failure
information until the message was accepted by the remote server, but it
never made the cut.

Brandon