On 3 Feb 2020, at 14:04, Brandon Long via mailop wrote:

One of the main reasons I don't think we should use such long retries is
that it violates user expectations.  Users often treat email as nearly
instantaneous, because it normally is... so taking hours or days of
actually failing without any quick indication to the user violates that
expectation.

This. Expectations have changes *a lot* over the years.

For some pairs of correspondents, it's ok to wait a couple days for an email. For others, a message delayed more than a few hours is pointless.

For bulk outbound email, we tend to see a queue that doesn't drain fast enough as a sign of trouble.

Best regards

-lem