Microsoft O365 and Google G Suite are both retiring basic authentication for
client access to mailboxes.  As a result, ALL clients will need to support
OAuth on a very short timeline.

End-user MUAs aside, I'm worried about systems that rely on a mailbox for
integration (RT, and the like).  I suspect that there is a long tail of those
systems that are critical to line-of-business operations which don't switch to
OAuth in time (for a variety of reasons).

I was holding on to "app passwords" as the last bastion for these systems to
integrate.

It's unclear if Microsoft will continue to support app passwords with their
Azure AD MFA product, which only works for organizations who don't federate
authentication to a local IdP anyway.  Google plans to stop creation of App
Specific passwords in June 15th, 2020 and grandfathering in the rest until
February 2021.

Thoughts?