Hello all,
once in a while a topic of e-mails from small senders being mis-classified
as spam returns on this list. Some time ago I was complaining (and not only
me, there were more people who experienced the same thing) about Google
putting my messages into users' Spam folder without me or them knowing it
(them, because they usually don't look into their Spam folder unless told
to).

Today I want to show you a good example how these issues can be handled. I
tried to send a message to a user on Mail.ru service and I got a 550
rejection telling me that my message was detected as spam. But not only
that!

That's what the rejection message said:

550 spam message rejected. Please visit
http://help.mail.ru/notspam-support/id?c=XXXXXXXXXXX <long code here>
    or  report details to ab...@corp.mail.ru. Error code:
    YYYYYYYYY <another long code>. ID: ZZZZZZZZZ <one more code>

As you can see, for every message rejected as spam, their system prepares
special codes for the sender, which you can use to easily submit a
complaint. If you go to their help page without specifying a parameter (here
it is: https://help.mail.ru/notspam-support/errors , click on "550 spam
message discarded/rejected") you'll see that they even have a small graphics
there showing you exactly where you should look for these codes in the
rejection message you got. (You have to know a bit Russian however :)).

From what is written in the form I understand that the messages rejected as
spam are actually quarantined somewhere on their system (it's possible as
they are rejected after the DATA phase) and they look at these messages once
you submit the form.

I submitted the form, got the ticket confirmation. It took them two days to
resolve it, so I'm not fully satisfied with reaction time, but they finally
fixed it. Not for the first time however :). When I got first message from
them that the issue has been fixed, I tried to send mail again and still got
a 550. But after I replied to their message that it still doesn't work, they
fixed it in minutes!

I'm absolutely positively impressed that such a big mail service (I think
that Mail.ru may be comparable to Yahoo in size, although probably not
comparable to Google) can have so user-friendly and actually working
policy towards false positive spam classifications. You know that your
message has been mis-classified as spam; you know exactly what to do to
have the situation fixed; and what's most important, it actually works!
These Russian guys are definitely doing the good job. Keep it that way!
--
Regards,
   Jaroslaw Rafa