This behaviour is pretty common, not just Mail.ru – instead of building actual
IMAP and MIME capability into a phone app, client developers push all IMAP
connection handling and MIME processing to their servers and expose HTTP based
API to the mobile client. This way the app developers can build UI/UX stuff and
ignore email protocol complexity, it also allows to use native push channels
more easily. Downside obviously is that all email is going through a 3rd party
provider but considering how widely this technique is used, not many seem care
about it.

Best regards,
Andris