On Mon, 25 May 2020, Daniele Nicolodi via mailop wrote:

Hello,

sorry for the slight OT.

I have an email account with an organization that uses Office365 for
their email. I recently received a email stating that they will be
phasing out "basic authentication" and that "modern authentication" will
be required starting from July 1st. There isn't any information about
what "modern authentication" is, except that using a Microsoft Outlook
client is the recommended way to use it.

Does anyone know what "modern authentication" mean in the context of the
Office365 / Microsoft email accounts?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/enable-or-disable-modern-authentication-in-exchange-online
suggests that it is based on the Active Directory Authentication Library (ADAL) and OAuth 2.0.

That page has many links to pages of information on using "modern authentication" with Microsoft clients :-)

------------

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/auth-v2-user
is a guide for developers on how to get their app to use OAuth2.0 access on behalf of a user (for MS Graph, but there is an example
which allows the app to read the mail of the signed in user).

------------

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/blogs/end-of-support-for-basic-authentication-access-to-exchange-online-apis-for-office-365-customers/
(published September 20, 2019) says:

  Today, we are announcing that on October 13th, 2020 we will stop
  supporting and retire Basic Authentication for Exchange Active Sync
  (EAS), Post Office Protocol (POP), Internet Message Access Protocol
  (IMAP), and Remote PowerShell (RPS) in Exchange Online. This means
  that new or existing applications using one or more of these
  API’s/protocols will not be able to use Basic Authentication when
  connecting to Office 365 mailboxes or endpoints and will need to
  update how they authenticate.

  Please note this change does not affect SMTP AUTH and we will
  continue to support Basic Authentication for it in Exchange Online
  at this time. With the large number of solutions, devices, and
  appliances that use SMTP for sending mail we are working on ways to
  further secure SMTP AUTH and will continue to update you as we make
  progress. This change also does not impact on-premises versions of
  Exchange Server and only applies to Exchange Online.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                                     Kendal, UK
                        and...@aitchison.me.uk