Michael Peddemors via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> writes:
> Since every email client in the world can check multiple mailboxes, ISPs
> and Telco's are starting to simply turn off 'remote forwarding', it is
> an option for you of course.

Unfortunately, this is not really a reasonable course of action for us:
most people still just use their ISP's webmail, which rarely supports
checking multiple mailboxes and even if it did would require a
significant amount of configuration by the end-user… we already have
issues keeping up-to-date email addresses for all the users, as they
often forget to notify us changes, so getting them all to regularly
fetch emails from IMAP servers we'd setup sounds pretty much impossible.

> Which is why you should consider the spam protection as an integral part
> of the email service, and not simply a 'pre-filtering' system, as this
> way cases of "one man's spam is another man's reading material"..
>
> Let the customer make the final choice.. eg 'Click Allow/Block Sender'.

This sounds like a neat idea! however, there is an issue with it: adding
these links would break DKIM, and so we would have to rewrite the From
header for all emails… which sounds like a pretty bad UX downside. If
only there were a way to add a DKIM-unsigned mime block to the email,
that the UI would display as being obviously not-from-the-sender… it
could solve this issue maybe.

>> Do you know of additional best practices we could do, to better help
>> training our antispam as well as hopefully redirect at least some of the
>> reputation loss to the actual sender of the email?
>
> Never forward known spam ;)

Well… if only it were that easy :p