On 29 Jun 2020, at 14:11, Scott Mutter via mailop wrote:

Microsoft has not provided any evidence that anything bad has ever come from this IP address. (Which the pros/cons of disclosing this have already
been discussed)

I don't think that in the current state of affairs, they *have* to provide you with such *evidence*. I would certainly tell anyone affected by the firewall rules I deploy to pound sand if they come demanding evidence. "My system, my rules".

It should be clear to us that the current system works well for Microsoft clients: The advertisers probably prefer other advertisement to not make it to the inbox. And most end users can't be bothered – or would not even know how – to request MS to get involved with this. I posit that for those that this gets inconvenient, they will simply ask the corresponding sender to use their gmail account, or subscribe again. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Not trying to defend them – and I'm 100& pro venting – but having been on the other end as well as many others here, they have their reasons for being so non-transparent. Some commercial, others not so much.

Now is the IP blocked because of a larger class-C, class-B, or some subnet block? That'd be nice to know. But even if it is, if you're not seeing any activity from the specific IP address I'm referring to, why can't you
just whitelist that IP from the subnet block?

When my $dayjob involved doing this in exchange for money, fame and celebrity I went the transparent route. Each and every IP address we blocked included a reason and links to evidence emails that invariably were sent by our own users. From time to time we discovered poor reports that lead to unwarranted blocks – those were resolved quickly. Would this scale? Not in that shape, for sure. For a few million email accounts we held it quite well with a couple people. I can't even imagine how much people would it take to scale that to MS gargantuan size.

But then many years have passed, and better tools exist today.

Rather than the rant I had before, I'll just say that current MS technology in email receiving is not at the forefront – and hasn't been for a long time. The situation we're all living through is a consequence of the economics at play.

It's impossible to get a hold of anyone using Microsoft website contact form links that knows a lick about how their own mail servers work. If you tell them that you're IP is blocked they try to figure out why you can't
access http://outlook.com

In their defense, I'm sure their numbers back them. 99.99% of the people opening tickets are likely unable to access http://outlook.com :-)

The thing is, we should not have to resort to interacting with their support channels so frequently. This unfortunately won't change as long as the layer of suspense and mystery is not lifted from the art of emailing Microsoft.

All the while, our users see us as being the bad guys. They don't believe that Microsoft/Hotmail/Outlook can be a bad guy because they're too big. I would be half a good mind to tell our users to sign up for this Mailops mailing list, just so they can read all of the horror stories that happen
with Microsoft/Hotmail/Outlook mail server blocks.

The stories would be impossible to find because of all the questions about how to access http://outlook.com.

Best regards

-lem