On 07/07/2020 15:11, Andrew C Aitchison via mailop wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Jul 2020, Noel Butler via mailop wrote:
>
> On 07/07/2020 01:01, Johann Klasek via mailop wrote:
>
> I have been told that DoH is set into place to solve the privacy
> problem. On a small DNS workgroup meeting I saw a presentation on how
> they statistically identify users by their DNS traffic, and could create
> a profile with interests and affectations these users have. I think DNS
> is not that anonymous one would expect.
> Don't you think there is more chance of a perfect picture of you being
> built from, ohh i dunno, long standing things like, netflow  :)

On the whole yes.

With shared hosting and content delivery networks ISPs have access to
less of the relevant netflowdata - which means Cloudflare wins again ?

perhaps, but they are trying to force a change on 99.9999999% of the
world where the problem does not exist.

Even here  in Australia with meta data retention laws, web browsing and
DNS are specifically excluded, like much of the rest of the western
world, admins dont care, Australia, like Europe also have strong privacy
laws.

Mozilla and cloudfare centralising the internet might be fine if your
from China or North Korea, but its unacceptable in the rest of the
world.

The world of shared hosting wont matter too much, because they will know
which site on that IP your hitting, if they want to.

At present there are work around yes, but if they take them away, there
are still ways and means to deny DoH, and I guess it will mean way less
support staff will be needed, reducing CSR operating costs, which should
also result in less system admins

simple IVR option " If you're calling about web site thats unreachable
press 5"

ivr-options-5 set announcement go-call-cloudfare-or-mozilla  set
end-call

hrmmmm  more profits hey thanks mozilla :)

--
Kind Regards,

Noel Butler

                This Email, including attachments, may contain legally
privileged
information, therefore remains confidential and subject to copyright
protected under international law. You may not disseminate any part of
this message without the authors express written authority to do so. If
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender then delete
all copies of this message including attachments immediately.
Confidentiality, copyright, and legal privilege are not waived or lost
by reason of the mistaken delivery of this message.