On 10 Jul 2020, at 16:54, Matt Corallo via mailop wrote:

Replies inline.

On 7/10/20 7:50 PM, Brian Toresdahl wrote:
Your approach and goals don't seem to make sense to me.

TL;DR: The customer is always right, and the customer sees DKIM being used regularly to authenticate leaked emails - if old not-in-use keys are public, anyone can sign anything they want, and suddenly you can't authenticate mail with them,
at least after-delivery, that is.

Not sure I understand your customer's use case completely, but DKIM is meant to verify the signature upon delivery. You can certainly try and verify again at a later time.

You do not need to have a _small_ number of public keys published. You can have a very large pool of them, and theoretically use them to sign a single message when sending. A while after delivering the message, you can remove and destroy the key material – DNS public key and private key – to prevent its reuse.

This could be an interesting project – which would be stretching the intended use case for DKIM IMO :-)

DKIM works (I'm summarizing a lot) by signing mail, and the public key to check that signature is placed in a "selector" record in DNS (selector1._domainkeys.example.com <http://domainkeys.example.com>). If you want to rotate DKIM keys, you can immediately start signing new mail with with another selector (selector2._...), keeping the selector1 around long enough for the old mail to be delivered and checked. Are you asking how long selector1 needs to stay around? For some
sort of 95th percentile, probably less that an hour.

Yes, that was my question, thanks :). Sadly, I don't think and hour would work - plenty of time to timestamp the emails in question and suddenly the email is non-reputably signed again. Back to the drawing board, I suppose.

I was lost by the end of this paragraph.

The goal is to actually publish the private key, no need to wait for someone to brute-force it :)

Are you sure you're not better using S/MIME or GPG to produce _signed_ email payloads?

-lem