Maybe this is a stupid question but

as BIMI is a txt record in dns

An example BIMI TXT record.

"v=BIMI1; l=https://images.example.com/somedir/logo.svg;";

What exactly keeps someone from publishing their own BIMI TXT record and simply copying your image.

How exactly does this improve fraudulent email protection. It would seem that it would do the opposite. You are training your users to trust based on the image provided rather than the actual email address.

Ted