On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 10:40:40 -0500, Mickey Chandler via mailop
<mailop@mailop.org> wrote:

>And yet ESPs, like many other businesses, can sometimes look at abuse
>desk operations as a cost center, not as a core functionality. It's
>way easier to justify paying for new salespeople who will bring in
>several times their annual salary in new business per quarter than it
>is a team of dedicated professionals who spend all day terminating
>paying customers.

My favourite Policy Enforcement gig was at ALGX before the money people did a
forced buyout.  Executive management hired me to get the network out of the
blocklist sewer, and eventually when the Mahoganites (EVPs) on the fourth
floor raised some sand about my team terminating $15K/month customers, the 'C'
level directive came down that caused a new clause in the sales commission
policy to go into effect:  If your customer is terminated for AUP violations
within the first six months of their tenure on our network, 100% of your
commission on the sale will be clawed back.

After a while my team spent as much time assisting sales in vetting new
customers as they did whacking bad ones.

mdr
--
   "There will be more spam."
      -- Paul Vixie