We configure ours for two reasons: most mailers will retry immediately on
some connection errors (even as late as starttls or helo) but only if you
have "more" hosts/ips for them to try.  With load balancers, there's no
other way to tell remote servers to try again quickly.  I assume this is
similar at least to what you're talking about.

The other thing is that we vend an ip to the dns request based on
load/availability and closeness to the requestor.  Our alt addresses vend
other data centers down the list, which helps move the traffic in the first
minutes of unavailability before the automated systems catch up and the dns
ttl expires.

We've considered switching away from this.  The added benefit is pretty
low, and there is some benefit to having fewer simpler entries for gsuite
customers.

Ah, we also used multiple mx to roll out changes.  Ie, when we rolled out
ipv6 addresses, we added it on a higher pref mx first.

Brandon