I was the TL of the second version of groups that added the improved web
archive and mailing lists, and ensured that usenet was well supported at
the time... and continued to maintain the incoming and posting servers
until a couple years back.  The groups usenet archive is still available as
a web archive and in search, though I've felt the search isn't as good as
it used to be... or at least doesn't seem to surface usenet like it used
to.  It's a smaller and smaller subset of the groups archive over time, so
maybe that's natural.

If there were other requirements for our handling of the archive, no one
made me aware of them... but I did join well after that acquisition and the
first groups search.

Brandon