My question is: how widely is this BL (UCEPROTECT level 3) used? Do I have
to worry about deliverability? Their page tells me to ask my provider to fix
the issue, which I will do, but... it's OVH, so you know...

UCEPROTECT is among the worst blacklists in usefulness. They have a low catch rate (sits in the 25%-30% range most months) and a fairly high false positive count. People who use UCEPROTECT are wasting their bandwidth with the lookups.

Based on years of testing, the "good" IP reputation services are:

Proofpoint (not SORBS)
Trend ERS
Spamhaus Zen
Cisco Senderbase

All catch more than 50% of the spam, consistently month-to-month, and have vanishingly low false positive counts.

All of the free IP reputation services have decayed significantly over the past few years; the best free service (Barracuda) is still worse than the worst paid service (Spamhaus), although the gap between those two is only a few percentage points most months.

It is unfortunate that Proofpoint and Cisco don't sell their service standalone the way that Trend & Spamhaus do. On the other hand, the email business has changed so much over the past few years that it's actually a bit surprising that there's still this much choice out there.

jms

--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Senior Partner, Opus One       Phone: +1 520 324 0494