Hi all,

I'm looking for brainstorming and updated industry "standards" from people
handling outgoing SMTP services or ESP exporting APIs to "request
subscriptions" (confirmed opt-in).

Not every website uses CAPTCHA and also webforms using CAPTCHA are being
abused as even reCAPTCHA have been cracked by some botnet.

So, we implemented per-recipient "antiflood" measures and sender
throttling, we implemented a distributed near-real-time "recipients black
list" in order to identify victims across our infrastructure ASAP and stop
the flow.

We also implemented some smart solution on the webforms we directly manage
with different CAPTCHAs optionally proposed depending on internal and
public blacklists of abusive IP/networks and webform filling behaviours:
this works fine, but this is only a part of the outgoing flow and we can't
do the same on transactional requests submitted via API or sent via
authenticated SMTP.

We require transactional email to provide us the IP of the user that
triggered the email, so we can use our blacklists for them, too, but in
this case we can't provide a CAPTCHA in an API or the SMTP conversation, so
balancing false positives and false negatives is harder.

The bigger the infrastructure the bigger the dataset of abuses adn the more
efficient this kind of blacklists works, that's why IP blacklists have been
made public and "shared", but I guess a "current subscription bombing
victims DNSBL" does not exists and is not even easy to think how it could
work at a global scale.

Of course one option is to get in touch with every single sender, as soon
as we recognize a single request as subscription bombing and explain them
how to change their website in order to protect it but this is a big PITA
considering most time they use CMS they don't even understand, and because
the user is multiple steps away from us (whitelabel services and
resellers), but before taking this path I preferred to ask here.

One of our transactional IPs have been recently blacklisted by one provider
because of a *single* "subscription confirmation request" transactional
email received by one of their recipients targeted by a subscription
bombing issue. The protections on our side didn't trigger as it was a
single request from a clean IP for a recipient we never seen before and
there was nothing suspicious in the request to decide to block it. I don't
care of that specific blacklisting, but I'd like to be responsible and
understand what most of us (postmasters) expect from each other in the real
world (where a system with 0 false-negatives does not exists).

How do you deal with this issue?

--
Stefano Bagnara
Apache James/jDKIM/jSPF