Hi Graeme

> Given that Exim logs what the far end gives back to it, I suspect
> you're looking at the Postfix end.

Yes, that sounds reasonable... So I started digging in our MIMEDefang
code and added more debug information to see what might go wrong. If we
somehow silently return 'CONTINUE' from MIMEDefang and then later or
REJECT that email, so that Postfix answers 200 OK but logs 452 tempfail.

Then I made the obvious test with telnet to the SMTP port to see what
postfix returns...

$ telnet rrmx.imp.ch smtp
Trying 2001:4060:1:1001::12:5...
Connected to rrmx.imp.ch (2001:4060:1:1001::12:5).
Escape character is '^]'.
220-obelix.imp.ch ESMTP Postfix
220 obelix.imp.ch ESMTP Postfix
ehlo imp.ch
250-obelix.imp.ch
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 26214400
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN
mail from:<bp@****.ch>
250 2.1.0 Ok
rcpt to:<woody@****.ch>
250 2.1.5 Ok
rcpt to:<test@****.ch>
452 4.5.3 Incompatible Antispam Action, please resend this recipient
separately

And that is exactly what I expected and what see in our logs...
So Postfix is NOT accepting the second recipient with 200 OK and
logging it has been tempfailed.

So now I am more confident this has to be an EXIM bug.

What I suppose is happening there is: One recipient was accepted.

From the Log the ISP using EXIM sent me. I see the return code is:

250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 16EC1C100A

Yes, or course, that email got queued under that ID on our side. The
FIRST recipient was valid.

So does EXIM falsely apply that 200 OK also to subsequent tempfailed
recipients in the same SMTP connection?

We have a voicemail server running EXIM. Going to try to reproduce the
issue there.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen

-Benoît Panizzon- @ HomeOffice und normal erreichbar
--
I m p r o W a r e   A G    -    Leiter Commerce Kunden