On Fri, 5 Feb 2021, Grant Taylor via mailop wrote:

On 2/5/21 1:44 PM, Jay Hennigan via mailop wrote:
I blame the big webmail providers for this. The "Delete" and "Junk" buttons are too similar in the UI. Simply changing "Junk" to "Report as spam" would help a lot.

I don't think the label will make much difference.

Changing the effort involved /might/ make a difference. E.g. have delete be a one click action and report be a two click action vi a confirmation (blocking modal) dialog box.

On my tablet, the wastebin/trash icon shows beside a menu (burger?) which
opens to include the "Report spam" option.

I think GMail have employed some competent user experience designers,
we should see what they do before speculating.

Aside: The confirmation dialog box might also provide an opportunity to provide other options like "This message appears to be from a mailing list, would you like to unsubscribe? [Yes, unsubscribe] / [No, report...]".

Incentivize the more proper operation, delete. De-incentivize the less proper operation, report.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                                     Kendal, UK
                        and...@aitchison.me.uk