On 8 Feb 2021, at 17:03, Richard Bewley via mailop wrote:

+1 to Al. (no pun intended for the '+'.)

Only this weekend I was trying to help an old colleague with a migration from Gsuite to M365. The #1 complaint... was some of his minions were seemingly crippled by the lack of this function.. and I was thinking err.... aliases? Aliases?

The critical feature in '+' tagging (and equivalents using other characters or patterns) is the ability to create aliases on-the-fly in a namespace that the user controls such that the mail system handling delivery only needs to know the tagging pattern rather than every new tag.

The "de-tagging" tactic that Al noted has existed, although I don't see much evidence of it in recent years. I think it may be that enough people who use tagged addresses give tagged addresses less scrutiny that senders who paid attention noticed that de-tagging hurts deliverability.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire