On 2021-02-09 14:47, Chris via mailop wrote:
On 2021-02-08 21:09, Dave Warren via mailop wrote:
\
You could always turn on + addressing on M365...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/recipients-in-exchange-online/plus-addressing-in-exchange-online

Admittedly it is fairly new, and opt-in for reasons described on the link above, but it should be straightforward for a client moving in from another that supported plus addressing.

The convention has existed almost as long as there's been sendmail, and is available in postfix too.  This is handy to direct incoming email into different boxes, and makes it possible to narrow down who leaked your email address.

Absolutely. but in the context of the Microsoft 365 platform, it is less than 6 months since it was implemented as a checkbox administrators could enable. Before that it took custom aliasing or other hackery.

Indeed: I use it for my subscription to mailop as you can see.

I'm not sure how many years I have used plus addressing, but I first blogged about my experience with a product-specific implementation in mid-2008.

UNFORTUNATELY, many web sites outright refuse to accept "+" as a valid character in an email LHS, despite the fact that the RFC's permit it.

In fact, I've run into occasions where the "new user" function permits it, but logging in and/or password change *don't*.  Worse was one that entirely disabled it long after I've been using it successfully, routinely.

I've run into both of these a couple times. Sometimes in my favour, in one case it was the "update your profile" page that wouldn't work, I couldn't even change my e-mail address as the existing one was non-editable and invalid. Customer service shrugged and suggested I create a new account, so I did by referring myself, and got both sides of the referral bonuses and their slew of new-user bonuses.

When I was running my own hosting service, I supported - as an alternate character (user-subaddress@domain = user+subaddress@domain) and for users that wanted, subaddress@user.domain too, although I only deployed the DNS records upon request.

When I exited the market professionally and was looking for somewhere to refer customers, my discovery that FastMail supported the subdomain addressing by default brought them a decent number of mailboxes, eventually including my own personal address(es).

It's useful, but be aware that some sites screw it up.  Some relatively major ones.

I haven't yet found anywhere that can't cope with at least one of my address format alternates.

Another issue is that more and more companies are restricting addresses that contain their name. Uber doesn't (or at least didn't) allow uber@, dave+user@ or dave-uber@, but they were fine with u-morons-ber@ so that was good enough for me.

I've seen this a bit in the health world, our local blood laboratory accepts my email address and sends account related information, but not appointment confirmations. I was able to discuss it with their technical staff and the addresses was blacklisted in their ESP's database, but they couldn't see why. I experimented with other addresses at the same domain, and the same username at another domain, it was definitely the username portion.

Tossing a -morons- in the middle does the trick, but it means I have even more address formats to potentially use when trying to recall credentials or account details. Thank dog for password managers and searchable indefinite email retention being things.