> Aren't things like FBLs, or Google's Postmaster Tools, exactly the thing
> that COULD (and IMHO should) be used for this?

Ideally, yea, they probably could be.  But are Feedback Loops still in
use?  I've never gotten a single iota from Google's Feedback Loop or
Postmaster tools.  Maybe there's a certain threshold volume you have to hit
before it starts registering and we never reach that.

I'm also not getting anything from Microsoft's JMRP - and again, maybe
that's a threshold thing.  But I have had IPs blocked by Microsoft before.
Was it explicitly the IP address I am USING?  Or was it a neighbor IP that
caused the block?  Nobody knows, so we all just kind of shrug our
shoulders, request delisting, and (eventually... maybe) get delisted and
move on, never solving the "spam" issue.

Back in the day, the AOL feedback loop worked and was IMMENSELY helpful.
This was probably back before a lot of outgoing mail monitoring and
filtering was in place on our systems.  But it was definitely helpful when
we would get a sudden barrage of AOL FBL messages from a certain IP
address, and we knew then to stop everything and really investigate the
activity happening on that server.  This was back when AOL was probably a
more major player in the Email Service Provider realm, it's less so now,
there's just less aol.com email addresses in use these days.  And I'm not
even sure if the AOL FBL is still there.