Dnia 25.02.2021 o godz. 19:44:40 Christof Meerwald via mailop pisze:
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 07:16:17PM +0100, Jaroslaw Rafa via mailop wrote:
> > Dnia 25.02.2021 o godz. 08:48:01 John Capo via mailop pisze:
> > > Vultr.com blocks port 25 until you prove who you are and provide a credit
> > > card. A good policy IMHO.
> > How can you buy a VPS at all without proving who you are? It's a legal
> > contract - each party of this contract must know the other, so the company
> > you are buying the VPS from must know who you are.
>
> I don't think you are required to check who your customer is - as long
> as you get the money on time (and the sender of any payments matches
> the data provided), you might not care too much.

I'm not a lawyer, and of course law may differ in different countries, but I
guess that at least in my country it can have something to do whether you are
selling something that can be classified as "consumer goods" or not.
Selling groceries is definitely consumer oriented ;) while eg. selling
aircrafts is definitely not. While selling consumer goods to anonymous
customers is normal, I guess that if you sell an aircraft to an anonymous
customer the authorities might have a lot of doubts about it. For selling an
aircraft probably a contract clearly signed by both parties is required.

That may also have something to do with telecommunications law. If you are
required by law (at least in my country) to register your personal data for
every single SIM card you buy (the government says that the purpose of this
regulation is to combat terrorism, but everyone laughs at that), I guess the
same applies to such things as servers.

Taking a common sense approach, the ISP that provides your home Internet
connection usually won't provide any service without having signed a contract
where you clearly state who you are (the same applies for things like
electricity, water etc.). Why a hosting provider that sells you a VPS should
do differently? A server is basically a "house" in the Net. Usually houses
aren't sold or rented to anonymous people...
--
Regards,
   Jaroslaw Rafa