on Fri, Jul 09, 2021 at 09:25:57AM +0200, Hans-Martin Mosner via mailop wrote:
> IMHP that's the wrong approach. The question isn't whether IP
> addresses are dynamically or statically assigned, but whether it is
> possible with reasonable effort to find an entity that is responsible
> for SMTP traffic coming from an IP address. It doesn't matter whether
> the IP address has no pointer, has "dynamicip" or "staticip" or one of
> the various anonymous cloud hosting domain names in it.

I can assure you that the approach is valid. I don't know of anyone who
still accepts mail from hosts without a PTR, period. And I do know for
certain that many find distinguishing between generic, static, and
dynamic (as well as several other classifications, such as shared or
dedicated webhosts, residential university networks, NATs, etc.) extremely
useful in the context of not just inbound SMTP but also a variety of other
contexts where the nature of the source matters. Correlations are useful.

Now, you're right in thinking that reaching a responsible party is an
important aspect of making manual decisions as to who to block; with
the devastation that is WHOIS and the GDRP that has become well-nigh
impossible in many, if not most, cases, and the proliferation of idiocy
that is the failure to provide a working abuse@ address for every domain
and replacing them with alternates or even jump-through-hoops Web forms
for reporting abuse isn't helping. It's a lot easier to set policy based
on your tolerance for static/dynamic/generic/etc. and let the MTA or
filter make the decisions for you using a dataset based on classified
naming conventions. Why should that be any different than how you might
use SPF or DKIM/DMARC?

YMMV, your server, your rules. But I wouldn't have been able to collect
and classify almost 275K naming patterns over the past 18 years, with a
coverage of ~97% of the IPv4 PTR namespace, if someone didn't find the
dataset valuable...

Steve

--
hesketh.com/inc. v: +1(919)834-2552 f: +1(919)834-2553 w: http://hesketh.com/