On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 5:29 PM Tim Bray via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:

> On 16/07/2021 17:58, Al Iverson via mailop wrote:
> > If you want to guide this dummy on how to run a local resolver like
> > that, I'd appreciate the tips.:)  I was trying to get out of the DNS
> > business but if I want to do any local DNSBL querying, I guess I have
> > to reconsider that.
>
> On an debian/ubuntu system just
>
> apt install unbound
>
> It comes configured fairly safely, listening only on localhost.
>
> and edit /etc/resolv.conf to say
>
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
>
> And there isn't much else to it for single machine.  Indeed it is quite
> a good way to bring DNSSEC up to the local machine.

Thanks! I'll give that a shot, much appreciated. Sounds quite easy and
just what I need. I'm struggling to get past my 20 year old mindset of
"don't run a DNS server if you don't have to" because bind was a
common hax0r vector, once upon a time.

Until catching on to the limitations around DNSBL resolution
limitations, I'd been quite happy with public resolvers. Spamhaus has
been warning about them for a while, so I can't be surprised. I just
wasn't thinking much about it.

(On my XNND DNS tools site, the web-based DNS tools by default will
rotate through a list of common public DNS servers, to help spread the
joy around. Maybe I'll add an allow list of DNSBL domains that use a
local resolver instead.)

Cheers,
Al Iverson

--