On 2021-07-18 at 06:43:51 UTC-0400 (Sun, 18 Jul 2021 12:43:51 +0200)
Slavko via mailop <li...@slavino.sk>
is rumored to have said:

[...]

The only usable way seems to be GoiIP blocking countries, but i afraid
that it is wrong way.

Why?

If you have no users who need to authenticate from a particular network, there's no need to allow access from that network. If knowing where a network is based helps you make an accurate estimation of whether access from that network is needed, what's wrong with that?

On one small mail server I manage, I have 346 IPv4 networks blocked from all ports that expose any password-based authentication, with some of those being /6 networks. None of the users of that system need to use IMAP, POP, or mail submission from cloud server networks or random parts of of other continents. On an everyday basis, all valid authentication attempts come from US and Canadian mobile networks, a handful of retail access providers, and a regionally limited collection of office networks. For the rare cases where users need to connect from random places, I have a 'web knocking' rig to poke holes as needed.

The whole attack took about 5-6 hours. I will
continue to investigate weakforced for future as i feel, that it is not
real end, only pause...

Anyway, despite of all words about Kerckhoffs's principle, using the
same email address as login name seems to be wrong approach (as someone pointed already), because without valid username no password will match
and thus knowing username saves 50 % of the attacker work. Thus while
username is not secret, not revealing it can help... Of course, to hide
username is not (enough) security method.

Not using the email login identity as an actual email address is very useful in preventing *successful* account cracking, but it does not prevent the steady stream of doomed authentication attempts.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire