Another thing that people maybe haven't thought of, and it's actually a
wider issue than just email password compromises.

A lot of people just don't care that much about their password security.
The thinking is "what's someone going to do if they can log into my email
account and read my emails?"  They don't think of the other potential
consequences of having their password information leaked out.  They don't
consider the abuse that could happen when malicious users obtain this
information.  They see a password simply as a requirement to access their
not-so-government-secret correspondence.  So they choose a simple and easy
to remember password.