On 25/11/2021 14:22, Mary via mailop wrote:
But that is not a real solution is it?

Maybe linode and spamhaus can come up with a better solution between them?

Why is it not a real solution?

It's a bigger problem than Linode and Spamhaus.     (I refer to Linode in my writings, but I don't mean to single them out. It could refer to any VM or hosting provider)

And in a way it is because the address space numbers (and maths) for IPv6 are so completely bonkers, it takes a big of getting used to.

There have been various ideas floated over the years to declare the allocation size in a way that improves on what is in the whois data or RIPE database.   I don't think any have really worked.

The theory being a spam blocker could look up an IP address and see what size netblocks are allocated to customers.  So how wide to block to stop the customer just swapping to one of the other 18446744073709551616 IP addresses a typically IPv6 user with a /64 has.

2001:db8:1::/48  - > in here, customers are each given a /64

So  2001:db8::1 and 2001:db8::2 will be the same customer/VM just with 2 IP's on the machine. If one is spamming, maybe don't trust the other.

2001:db8:2::/48  -> in here, customers are each given a /128

so 2001:db8:2::1 and 2001:db8:2::2 are 2 absolutely completely unrelated customers and so if ::1 is spamming, this is no indication about what ::2 might be doing (except that maybe if it keeps going a long time, the provider is not proactive in kicking off spammy customers)

But I don't think any of these schemes really got off the ground.     Is it realistic to do some kind of lookup everytime you want to drop in a firewall rule or some kind of blocklist (or be less trusting list)?   I don't think the whois system could scale that well to the numbre of lookups.  Ok, my home /48 is in RIPE saying I have a /48 allocation, but my ISP happens to be good at keeping the RIPE DB up to date and they like the detail in RIPE.  Other ISPs have way less complete data.

In reality IPv6 addresses are abundant and even consumer services like SKY are allocating a /56 (256 lots of /64) to every single home customer.

So probably just easier for VM providers to dish out /64 per paying customer or VM.   Or at least make it really easy for a customer who needs it just request a /64.  And let everybody block on /64.  Linode's /32 allocation allows for 4,294,967,296 customers to have their own /64 network.  (ok, less than this, some grouping to make their internal routing table easier, network segmentation, different datacentres....)

And if you think that isn't enough, linode have at least 13 x /32 allocations.    See https://bgp.he.net/AS63949#_prefixes6    They aren't exactly short of address space. :)   I'm sure linode could to go RIPE and ask for more space too.   (if Linode go past 52 billion customers, give me a call)

--

Tim Bray
Huddersfield, GB