We've been experiencing cases of apparent automatic unsubscribes, but I'm
not familiar with the source of this, and am hoping someone here can
recognize the reason for the behavior.

We're an email service provider, used primarily in corporate settings, for
sending e-gifts (e.g.  Starbucks gift cards). Consent and a prior email
relationship does exist between sender/recipient.

What we've seen, corroborated with cases across different sender domains,
and different recipient domains, is that emails, as soon as they're
delivered, are being immediately unsubscribed. We've had enough independent
reports from recipients that they didn't unsubscribe themselves to make me
believe them. We've had cases where senders and recipients are on the
phone, together, with the recipient actively trying to resubscribe, but
each retry is again unsubscribed. So it's like some automated system is
unsubscribing recipients against their consent.

The one pattern we've noticed is that the recipient domains have a common
MX, something like {recipient.domain}.mail.protection.outlook.com. But it's
not across all such recipient domains, just a handful.

This leads me to believe there is some local admin setting available for
mail.protection.outlook.com, allowing admins to enable some sort of
"auto-unsubscribe" rule for emails matching some pattern.

If this is the case, then that sounds like a corporate policy, and I would
be unable to affect a different outcome from the sender side, or individual
recipient side. I can respect this -- their server, their rules, etc -- I
just want to accurately communicate what's happening to my users.

Am I understanding the issue correctly here?

I did raise a ticket with Microsoft's Postmaster support, SR1536619994, but
have not received any useful communication.

--

*Brian*