On 21 Apr 2022, at 11:45, Anne Mitchell via mailop wrote:

Until Google manages to shut down outfits like MailShake and Woodpecker and Gmass, instead of turning a blind eye to it, Google will never get a handle on the abuse that goes through the Gmail API, in fact it feels as if they are tacitly approving it. (I suppose "shut down" s/b "care about". I know that my inquiries about it, and offers to assist, have fallen on unresponsive ears.)

The idea behind Mailshake is not bad in itself. Many CRMs also use their customer's mail servers. There are some things that these outfits should do better though:

* Verify with the domain operator that they (the ESP, via the user that signed up for the service) are indeed authorized to use the ESP's services. I've found a number of instances where an end user with an email account on a given domain, signed up to a certain CRM using this MO and started to email "prospects" from their (ahem) "lead database". Hilarity tends to ensue shortly after. * Do a (much!) better job at vetting customers, including real rate limiting. * Take ownership of the responsibility to _stop_ mail to whomever unsubscribed/complained/bounced from their mailings. And then, keep track of ratios and take their clients to task when thresholds are exceeded.

After rereading the above, I realize how delusional it sounds :-(

Happy Friday.

-lem