On 4/28/22 8:53 PM, Ángel via mailop wrote:
Seeing it here as well. Something has recently changed in gmail again,
just like last December.

Yes, this problem has vastly increased. We're seeing complaints due to this several times a week now, whereas before it was maybe once a month.

Brandon Long mentioned that he didn't think this was likely to be particularly caused by SPF "-all", but more than 95% of the forwarded messages Gmail is rejecting with this error have that characteristic, based on our logs.

So if somebody sends a message from an SPF "-all" domain name, and there's either no DKIM or the DKIM is broken, and there's no DMARC policy, and it gets automatically forwarded to Gmail -- there's a very high chance Gmail will reject it with this error, even for messages that are fairly "obviously" not spam or bulk.

I've long subscribed to the idea that if Gmail says "avoid changing the envelope sender when forwarding email to Gmail", then don't do it (https://support.google.com/mail/answer/175365), but it's not tenable with this rate of rejections. SRS-style envelope rewriting, at least for messages that use SPF "-all" with no DKIM, seems necessary.

(It's difficult to keep explaining to paying customers that people who send them mail with SPF "-all" and no DKIM are doing it wrong, and hearing "but it works if they send directly to my Gmail address".)

--
Robert L Mathews