On 2022-06-15 at 23:53 +0200, Axel Rau wrote:

> > Am 15.06.2022 um 20:42 schrieb Ken O'Driscoll:
> >
> > This is incorrect. The return-path is the address used by receiving
> > the MTA to send bounce messages to when the recipient's 5322.From
> > is unreachable for whatever reason.
>
> Yes. But the point was "do I need a MX to receive these bounce
> messages?“
> My listservers return-path address is reachable all the time w/o MX
> and occasionally gets one.
>
> Axel

There is a fallback of connecting to the A record on port 25 if there
is no MX. However, I would recommend to include a proper MX record and
not rely on the "implicit MX rule" unless you have no other option.
An email address whose domain doesn't have a MX record is suspicious at
least. And obviously, add a SPF record to that domain as well.

Regards