Hi Taavi,

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Depending on canalisation and what headers are being signed, there is no
guarantee that a sender's DKIM won't be broken by the MLM. SPF alignment is
already going to be broken. Also, not every DMARC user, for their own
convoluted reasons, DKIM signs their messages. So, there is no guarantee that
DMARC (with an enforcing policy) will survive an MLM. Rewriting the 5322.From
is the safest option.

By always double signing, the MLM builds its own sending reputation. Many
message filters already can distinguish mailing list traffic, signing with the
list's keypair helps that. A list needs to have its own sending reputation.
Depending on the message volume of the list, this may even allow a member with
poor sending reputation to have their list posts reach the inbox.

Most MLM operators want to give the messages the best possible chance of being
delivered to inboxes. Double DKIM signing and rewriting the 5322.From of DMARC
enforced messages achieve this goal.

The other option is to rewrite every 5322.From address, optionally strip the
sender's DKIM, and sign with a MLM keypair. I don't advocate this approach, but
it achieves similar at a UX cost for some/many list users.

Assuming that senders with DMARC enforcing policies know what they are doing,
or even have control over their domain/MTA etc., is a high risk and high
maintenance gamble for MLM operators.

Unless you are a large mailbox provider, or have an academic interest in it, I
wouldn't recommend low-volume senders spend time with ARC until it's fully
baked.

Ken.