You clearly see what TLS version and what ciphers were used. So you know if
it was "secure" in your opinion or not.

I don't understand why Firefox did this: https://hacks.mozilla.org/2019/05/tls-1-0-and-1-1-removal-update/

Clients can clearly click the lock, check the details, and see which SSL version they're using. So if the site says it's secure and it isn't, that's on the client. So why is anyone doing this? You guys are replying to me like I'm some insane outlier here by suggesting that there's merit to a basic security practice of not allowing insecure ciphers/protocols, and I'm sitting here staring at my screen saying "How can anyone call themselves a professional and seriously argue against that?" Just cards on the table here, that's the perspective on this side.

The idea that a mail server operator should be treated as more capable and intentional than an end user doesn't take into account how many end users are mail server operators.

On 2022-08-03 14:51, Jaroslaw Rafa via mailop wrote:
Dnia  3.08.2022 o godz. 14:28:43 Jarland Donnell via mailop pisze:
> There's nothing that requires you to log a TLS 1.0/1.1 connection as
> being secure. You could choose to log it as if it were plaintext. It's
> likely to be logged with the protocol and cipher information.

What you log it as isn't as important as what the other party logs it as. Sure if it were within spec to be able to return a message that the other MTA logs as "Secure but not really secure" that would be a great middle ground, the problem is that the other MTA accepts it and logs it as secure,

Like that?

Aug  3 21:39:57 rafa postfix/smtpd[17973]: Anonymous TLS connection
established from mx.mailop.org[91.132.147.157]: TLSv1.2 with cipher
ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (256/256 bits)

You clearly see what TLS version and what ciphers were used. So you know if
it was "secure" in your opinion or not.

But take into account that most of these connections log as "Anonymous TLS" which means there is no client certificate presented nor verified. So you don't know whether the client connecting to you really is what it claims to be. MITM is perfectly possible. I would say that in that case the quality of
cipher used is less important.

And if you configure your server to *require* remote servers to present
certificates when connecting to port 25, you would probably cut off most of
your incoming e-mail.