On 8/3/22 12:33 PM, Jarland Donnell via mailop wrote:
Else, why are there even any articles about old versions being insecure? Why are there any efforts to remove old TLS versions from every major software application and operating system?

There is nothing wrong with striving for better.

But by the very nature of striving for something, sometimes you will fail.

Are all of these security experts and corporations just playing a game with TLS versions,

Not all of them. But I do completely believe that at least some of them are playing a game with TLS versions.

Aside: Years ago I saw -- what I think was -- a Far Side cartoon about new monitor standards / capability. I can't quickly find it, but chasing the latest and greatest seems apropos to the conversation.

or is there perhaps something to this security practice?

There is something to it for some situations.

There are a lot of things that can be done to build a house that's (effectively) fire proof, e.g. out of concrete. But there's even more that can be done to reduce the risk of fire even more, e.g. pouring 1,000 foot radius concrete circle around said concrete house. What is proper is situationally dependent.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die