On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 2:06 PM Jay Hennigan via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
wrote:

> On 9/12/22 10:23, Grant Taylor via mailop wrote:
> > On 9/12/22 5:13 AM, Thomas Walter via mailop wrote:
> >> What bothers me most is that the oligopoly makes it impossible to
> >> deliver emails to protect their users from spam, yet it is the biggest
> >> source of it…
> >
> > Does anyone have any evidence that shows that the big players are the
> > biggest source of spam /by/ /percentage/ of outgoing messages?
>
> There's plenty of evidence that the big players simply don't care about
> the spam they originate, just that which they receive.

I think if that were true, the amount of spam coming out of them would be
much
higher.  Unfortunately, even a 1% false-negative rate would still result in
a large
volume.

I think there may also be a material difference in the types of spammers
and spam that
are sent from Gmail to small providers, much less to individual server
owners.  There's
a lot of specialization among spammers, since what's needed to get passed
specific
filters at scale varies greatly, and is a constant battle, so different
targets look very
different in the methods... even if the peddled products or scams are often
the same.

Brandon