> On Sep 15, 2022, at 7:37 AM, Gellner, Oliver via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
> wrote:
>
>> https://cfenollosa.com/blog/after-self-hosting-my-email-for-twenty-three-years-i-have-thrown-in-the-towel-the-oligopoly-has-won.html
>
> To get back to the original topic: In my opinion many of the claims made in
> this blog post are factually wrong. Instead of countering each of them I
> rather point to the ecosystem around us:
> We communicate with tens of thousands of different MTAs and most of them are
> not run by members if the mentioned oligopoly. If it was impossible to run
> your own email server, those MTAs wouldn‘t exist. But they do exist.
>
> What is true is that a lot of knowledge is necessary to run a MTA, as well as
> the total amount of MTAs is decreasing. But this has more to do with the
> general trend towards outsourcing and moving services to SaaS providers, than
> with an alleged discrimination by an oligopoly.

I offer as exhibit A to support this the fact that the OP said that, and I
quote, "I got 10/10 on mail-tester.com."

I suspect that while he *thinks* he has everything set up correctly he, in
fact, does not.  I can't imagine that any one of us here would rely ons a
public free tool such as mail-tester which, while cute, what with its little
boat rowing across the screen as it crunches your stats, very, very often
yields false positives (meaning "your email set up is great! 10 out of 10!"
when it is not).  Both with customers who come to us and say "but..but.." and
in our own testing, it became very clear that these sorts of services
(mail-tester being but one, so not to pick on them) test, for example, for the
*existence* of an SPF record, but not the *content* of an SPF record.  We've
even had people come to us with "10/10" scores who had *multiple* SPF records,
and other issues with various DNS records.  This makes sense, because these
services, which are free, are not putting human eyes on those records, only
counting the very existence of them as proof of adequacy in set up.

Anne

---
We provide the Good Senders email sender reputation certification list to inbox
providers
around the world. Learn more at gettotheinbox.com

Anne P. Mitchell,  Esq.
CEO Get to the Inbox by SuretyMail
Author: Section 6 of the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 (the Federal email marketing law)
Author: The Email Deliverability Handbook
Board of Directors, Denver Internet Exchange
Dean Emeritus, Cyberlaw & Cybersecurity, Lincoln Law School
Prof. Emeritus, Lincoln Law School
Chair Emeritus, Asilomar Microcomputer Workshop
Counsel Emeritus, eMail Abuse Prevention System (MAPS)