On Sat 17/Sep/2022 17:12:00 +0200 Jim Popovitch wrote:
On Sat, 2022-09-17 at 11:48 +0200, Alessandro Vesely via mailop wrote:

Yes, ARC can fix what DMARC broke.

You must be new around here :)

If ARC is fixing what DMARC broke, and DMARC was to fix what DKIM broke,
and DKIM was to fix what SPF broke, and SPF was to fix (what was SPF
suppose to fix, oh yeah... provider greed and irresponsibility).   Have
we fixed that last part yet, because I don't think ARC is going to be
any better at fixing the real problem.

I agree it sounds funny. In fact, it'd be enough to SPF-authenticate mailop in order to whitelist its messages, dmarc=fail notwithstanding. The point of my draft is not so much how to authenticate, as to offer a non-munged option for mailing list delivery.

ARC is the authentication of choice in this case because, being devised for this task, it is supposedly straightforward to configure for it, whereas whitelisting after SPF or DKIM smells like a hack.

Best
Ale