On 10/17/22 4:02 PM, Heiko Schlittermann via mailop wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

how do you deal whith incoming messages having a Thread-Index header ... with about 1200 chars.

I can't say as I've had the (dis)pleasure of dealing with such.

I would (try to) configure my MTA to re-wrap the logical line to conform to the physical line length limits set in RFCs; 1000 characters /including/ the trailing <CR><LF>.

The regular Exim config doesn't forward this (and probably can't bounce it, as a copy of the headers would make it into the bounce message, which in turn has an oversized header then too.)

I would naively assume that Exim (or any contemporary MTA) could deal with logical (unfolded) header lines of largely any length.

I would also assume that it would re-wrap any non-compliant physical lines to be compliant.