On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 7:49 PM Grant Taylor via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
wrote:

> On 10/17/22 8:35 PM, Brandon Long via mailop wrote:
> > The line length limit was clearly designed for a different time in
> > terms of memory usage, and I think a lot of mail software has much
> > larger workarounds for specific client/server bugs...  I'd just raise
> > the limit.
>
> I'd be okay with raising the line length limit /as/ /long/ /as/ it is
> supported by an RFC at some point in time.  Even if that's an RFC that's
> written in the future to document the general consensus of the then
> email echo system.
>
> I'd personally be loath to /generate/ messages that exceed the current
> (then) standards.

Certainly, but do you consider some edge cases like composing bounces or
relaying messages as generating messages?

We typically took a much harder line at "from scratch" messages, or places
like
MSA where we could safely fix messages.

The current team seems to be imposing more strictness for their own
reasons, so
YMMV, but it's definitely safer to be strict on what you generate.

Brandon