These sound likely different, but I wonder if the German app mistakenly is
translating the From header name into German.  It could also be doing
something wrong with adding non-ascii characters to the From header
contents, though our parser should be more lenient about that.

In general, though, the phone should be connecting to an MSA to send the
message.  The Gmail MSA will add a From header if it's missing, so you
shouldn't see this issue.  Whatever MSA you're using for your test should
also be doing that, I would think that level of message correction would be
normal, but maybe not.

Brandon