On 2022-11-09 at 17:21:16 UTC-0500 (Wed, 09 Nov 2022 22:21:16 +0000)
MRob via mailop <mro...@insiberia.net>
is rumored to have said:

On 2022-11-09 at 06:47:55 UTC-0500 (Wed, 09 Nov 2022 11:47:55 +0000)

On 2022-11-09 08:40, Slavko via mailop wrote:
Dňa 9. 11. o 0:34 MRob via mailop napísal(a):
... But if microsoft agree to DKIM-sign using envelope-from (**signature including the FROM header**) shouldnt that mean it is seeing the headers and can of course validate FROM header? For me that show extra proof microsoft allowing free-form uncheked spoofing

DKIM doesn't validates any of signed header(s). It only digitaly signs
them to receiver can verify that they wasn't modified on transport
(from signer to receiver). Nothing more, nothing less.

Not questioning about DKIM. The point is microsoft has FROM header in its hand so it *can* easily do validation to the user account to disallow spoof.

Not so much.

If I send mail via an MS service and put in a (working) address in my
own domain in the From header. How is Microsoft supposed to "validate"
that?

Easy, user register their addresses in their MS acct, MS only send with FROM in allowed list

What they'd need to do in that case is to have alternative address
registration and confirmation at a per-user granularity. Users hate
that.

MS and you agree: users hate that so best decision is allow free-form spoofing :(

I guess my tone was unclear. I do not condone MS's lack of oversight of their customers' misbehavior, especially their not-really-customers using 'onmicrosoft' addresses. I just don't believe that there is the slightest chance of them changing it because it would add costs for both operations (a foreign address registry and scanning of messages to validate From headers) and for support (because: users hate it.) This is not something MS will ever fix, at least not in any way that they can't dress up as a positive feature and charge for. Because 'onmicrosoft' addresses are for trial accounts (and apparently for non-mailable admin accounts without Exchange mailboxes?) I would not expect MS to ever block header spoofing for them. It would be a cost with no benefit for MS.

Whether they *should* block it is not a useful conversation. They are not going to.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire