Thank you, Dan and Hans, for your feedback.

The reason we decided to accept the email silently was to avoid retries
that would pile up on top of the massive flux of new ones incoming. I was
aware this would add overhead to our servers. Still, I configured the code
only to accept the data and drop them, not calling the database or any
resource-intensive systems we generally use.

The situation was hard, but it finally was solved; The user in question had
the great idea to ask all their client to point to a CNAME they manage for
the MX, which was then redirected to our services. So once we were in
contact with them, they moved that CNAME point to something else, resolving
the issue in a matter of a few hours (the time it took for the slowest
services to process the DNS cache propagation).

Clearly, this situation showed us that a badly intentioned person (which
wasn't the case here) could do wreckage on our service with us being unable
to avoid this (again, we were not sending emails, only receiving bounces.
This is definitely in the DDoS area).

Fortunately, we were able to increase the number of servers with AWS EC2,
so our other users weren't severely impacted, but this feels like it's just
a ticking time bomb.

This matter is now resolved, and I'm really glad it is!

Thank you, everyone, for your support!

Best regards,
Cyril